Friday, August 19, 2011

Om Modern Asian Kitchen

Om is a gem in the Tucson community.  They have a eclectic menu of Asian eats, their take on Indian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese.  And on top of it, they're doing it all well.  Add in a sleek ambiance and a good happy hour, and I really don't think you need anything else. 


Happy hour runs daily from 3 to 6 pm and offers deals on beer, wine, specialty drinks, sushi, and other appetizers.  Basically, if you want it, you can get it. On our visit my friend and I explored their specialty cocktail menu, which runs for 5 dollars.  I ordered the Wasabi Bloody Mary and my friend ordered the Asian Peartini.  They have a good selection of wine for 5 dollars a glass, and their beers are priced at 3.75 for the better selection, while bud light, etc are 2 dollars. 
Wasabi Bloody Mary- Vodka, Bloody Mary mix, Wasabi, Black Pepper and garnished with a Ginger Olive.

Asian Peartini- Pear Vodka, Lime Juice, Sierra Mist

The bloody mary was pretty fantastic.  I love the taste of wasabi, and horseradish in general, so if anything my complaint is that I wish the drink had more of a kick.  The Peartini was good, albeit a little too sweet for my tastes.  But, my friend enjoyed it.

The place Om really succeeds is in their food menu.  They offer an array of Asian-inspired appetizers as well as a fairly comprehensive sushi menu.


We ordered some edamame for the table.  The edamame is $ 2.25 and while not a large portion, comes steamed and lightly salted.  And it's always one of my favorite appetizers when eating sushi.
We explored the sushi menu for our main meal.  One of the best reasons to get sushi during happy hour is that you can get a full meal for cheap and most of it isn't deep-fried.  We ordered Nigiri Sushi, which runs on average around 3 dollars for 2 pieces, as well as a couple of sushi rolls.  They have a large selection of vegetable sushi and on this visit I ordered the vegetable roll, $3.20.  The rolls with fish are a bit more expensive, but nothing for more than five dollars.  The rolls are larger than usual, so you're definitely getting bang for you buck. 
Yellowtail and Albacore
Vegetable roll and Crab-Avocado Roll

 Overall, this happy hour impressed and I cannot wait to get back to Om to try some of their appetizers and maybe even check them out for a full-price dinner.  Sacrilege!  My only wish is that the happy hour lasted until at least 7.

Overview:
Time: Daily from 3 to 6 pm.
Specials:  5 dollar specialty cocktails and wine, 2-3.75 dollar beer, discounted appetizers and sushi.


Rating: 4.5/5 shots

Om Modern Asian Kitchen
1765 East River Road
Tucson, AZ 85718-7631

No comments:

Post a Comment